I'm being Phoebe Bridgers for Halloween

 Phoebe Bridgers, to me, is this generation's Joni Mitchell. If you don't know who she is. You will. 

Look her up. I'll wait. 

She isn't just blonde and beautiful, like the original indie folk singer/songwriter we all love who created one of the best depression albums of all time, Blue. 

Phoebe Bridgers is writing and singing sad songs about depression, alcoholism, heart break, apathy, and death. And they are fucking beautiful. So beautiful that you will listen to them over and over again. Peeling back the layers of the lyrics like the divine feminine onions they are, is a revealing experience for the listener. Just like Joni's best songs. But darker. 


I am not one of those people that goes around comparing people to Joni Mitchell. Joni is my goddess. EVERYONE who knows me. Knows how much I love her. Joni opened up my heart and soul to music that lifted my understanding of myself to another level. She opened a channel of heartbreak and joy and playfulness and wisdom through her music. I felt understood. All who really listened got to go through that channel. Great musicians can actually teleport us to the feeling they are feeling with their performance. Phoebe can do that. 

I saw her live recently. 

My friend and I were possibly two of the older fans/milfs in the audience, at least 20 years older than the average screaming, crying, queer starseeds that surrounded us. And yet, we were pulled into Phoebe's spell, like we were 15 and hopeless. 

She sings her spells like an ethereal spirit or fae. 

She's magical. Her heartache is palatable. Her lyrics are knives. She barely smiles, and when she does, you fall in love. She kills you and then brings you back to life. She screams her lungs out and reveals the most intimate scars. You leave feeling fearless. Unafraid of the inevitable. The end. 

This chic is morbid. But in the way the best artists of our time are morbid. The ones who dare to look at the darkest dark of the soul are the ones who come back with the most revealing poetry. They know the end

Her main influence is Eliot Smith. Nuff said. 

But if you dare, or if you ever have dared to listen to Blue from start to finish. If you've cried to it. If you've laughed to it and sang along at the top of your lungs with the windows down, then you need to listen to the album Punisher by Phoebe Bridgers. Then move backwards to Stranger in the Alps. Listen to her collabs. Listen to her. She's 27. And her voice is important. She's telling our stories right now. 

So for Halloween, this witch will be dressing up as THIS WITCH, Phoebe Bridgers, my musical muse for the season. Please join me in bowing down to your new folk indie goddess. Her demons demand devotion! 

Listen to her music now. I'll wait. 

Happy thinning of the veil, witches. 

Love, Fran

IG @papermoontarot



Comments

Popular Posts