From Boston to Belding. This trip is trippy!!!!!!!

Hello world,

I had a blog malfunction this week and lost a very wordy and sensitive diatribe about my bruised ego. I'm thinking it was meant to be. It's gone. And so be it! I'd rather be positive anyway.

So I had an amazing week! Two performances that taught me so much and made me so grateful for this journey I'm on. If you ever are sitting and wondering what would happen 'if' - 'if' you did that thing you've always wanted to do. JUST DO IT. The 'if' is a beautiful thing.

So. Thursday night was the Open Idol Competition at the KeyClub. If you haven't already guessed, I didn't win. haha! That was not the plan anyway. The plan was to have fun and meet some other amazing musicians and that is exactly what happened.

Jared and I were the 3rd to perform. Thank God! I hate the anxiety of waiting.


The judging part of the night was not my favorite experience - because I'm a sensitive baby artist with absolutely NO rhino skin. I'm working on it. BUT I did get to hear the most glorious sentence ever from an industry pro, "Your songs take me back to Joni Mitchell's "Blue" album. They touch my heart in the same way." Ummmmmm. Best compliment ever in a world! I was flying! Of course whatever negative words that were said screamed above all else and made me want to die and quit for about 1 hour. But I got through that and am now celebrating the amazingly positive words that compared me to my top songwriting IDOL! Thank you, ma'am.

2 other moments shined above the rest. First of all, some amazing people came out to support!!!!!!! I could not believe the love I had in that room - definitely the best fan showing of any of the other acts. Do you know how amazing that is? I mean come on! Evelyn and Allie - you made my night.

Signs???? I might as well have died and gone to heaven. This was the cutest, funniest part of the night. It made me feel so loved and excited and helped me give a more energized performance. and EVERYONE was talking about it. xoxoxoxoxoxo

To Jenny, Kate, Steve, Tom, Gabe, Gabe's friend, and Shellie - I am soooo grateful for your presence that night! You continue to help me to understand that music builds bonds and I'm so excited to continue to get to know you all and share my music with you. It is the sweetest gift.

The 3rd best part was meeting new, inspiring musicians! I met two in particular who you must check out!!!! First of all, the winner of the competition was this wild, tortured, beautiful, twisted, spiritual slide guitar player who lives for his music and surfs couches when he needs to rest his head. His name is The Spirit-hood (aka Pat) and he is my new musical hero. So much soul that it drips from every note. This guy needs a cellphone and a computer and maybe some organization - but he has got the real deal going on in his heart and through his songs. Check him and out and friend him on Myspace! NOW. http://www.myspace.com/thespirithood


My other favorite was the third place winner, Jesse Thomas. She is a Brandi Carlile loving ball of feisty awesomeness. Her voice is unique and compelling - her songs are beautiful and poignant - and she comes in a tiny adorable package. I like her a lot and I think you will too. Check out her page!!!!! http://www.myspace.com/jessethomasmusic

All in all, it was a great night. And so fun to play for people who had never heard my music.

Last night was the ACME Comedy Theater's Saturday Night Live show with Dennis Haskins, aka Mr. Belding from Saved by the Bell as the host. We had a freakin BLAST! Maybe some of you on the east coast got to check out the live feed.

First of all, Belding is a dear, dear man. So sweet and funny. The cast was hilarious and fun to interact with back stage. So many great friends came out to support: Suzanne Kiechle (my voice teacher), Kathy, Drea, Jesse, Deb, and Rebecca. I felt the love in the room.


My gorgeous and talented friend, Drea! The loudest 'Woo-hoo'er in the audience.


Jared Kuenstler, Me, and Eric Zimmerman (our new drummer) - pose on the red Carpet

The whole thing felt a bit surreal. Like is this me? Am I really in some sort of LA red carpet scenario getting my photo taken with Mr. Belding? And the answer is, YES. The best part is that it all felt natural. This is becoming my profession. Once and for all, Amen! I feel like a professional, I felt a little glamorous, I felt invested and poised and happy and grateful to have the opportunity to sing in front of a live audience.

This is my job. And I'm sure it won't always be glamorous and it won't always be fun. But for the most part, I LOVE IT. I'm so excited to get better. I'm so excited to keep getting my feet wet with new and different jobs so that I can become 'seasoned.' I'm so pumped to meet new people and connect with new people and learn from them! I'm so glad that when I want to give up, I don't. I'm so grateful that I get to do this. It's like the universe is allowing my heart's desire to come true. That feels amazing. Maybe it's because I finally agreed to not fight the natural flow of things. I feel like as much as I can I am surrendering to the Universe and it's great power and whatever happens, happens. I'm trying to get out of the way so that I don't eff it up. It doesn't always work - but most of times it's a beautiful life.

I should have more pics from the Belding night along with some clips coming up this week! Hopefully tomorrow. Stay tuned, my friends.

I'm in the mood for this song:





Comments

Popular Posts