Crosby, Stills, and Nash and AWESOME!

Morning Kitty,

Yay!!!! Last night was great. So much to say, as my friends Rager and Molly would say, STMS.

First things first. I love music. It's that simple. It fills me up and moves me and makes me dance and cry and love and laugh and I think it's one of the greatest gifts to this planet. I feel so blessed to have been given the gift of music in my life. Last night was a huge gift.

My friend Bernie is very old friends with a talented and totally seasoned and awesome bass player named Bob Glaub (awesome name and great guy). Bob is just finishing out the CSN tour and threw Bernie a few tickets and backstage passes. I was freaking at the chance to go. I have been listening to this band since the 6th grade when I first watched the Woodstock documentary. I have already written in previous blogs about what that meant to me (Click here). Sitting outside under the stars at the Santa Barbara Bowl and listening to some of the sweetest songs and harmonies and talented guitar players was like heaven.




PS - I have bangs now. Big Bangs.


Crosby stood there for the beginning of the night awkwardly without a guitar. Then the lights dimmed and he picked it up, started strumming, and dedicated the song to his wife - who he is still in love with after 30 years. Then he started to play Guinnevere - still one of the most haunting and beautiful loves songs I've ever heard - it surpassed itself last night. I could not hold it together. The harmonies were transcendent - and maybe it was the night air or something - but I was in a rapturous musical moment. It's what happens when you listen to a recording of a song over and over and over and then you hear it live and it is 10 times better than the recording. It's like your brain and body are going to combust. Anyway, it was amazing.

The guys were in good form. They also played a small set of covers that they are planning to make into a record. Their rendition of James Taylor's "You Can Close Your Eyes" was to die for. To die for. It was a great concert. Here is my video of their song "Marrakesh Express":

It was really something else to sit so close to such talented musicians at work and then to realize that i was sitting next to one of their peers. Someone they knew and liked and had played with. It was cool. I realized maybe naively for the first time that I'm really lucky to have met and gotten to know such a talented and caring musician. My friend Bernie is graciously teaching me a lot about music- but most importantly he's becoming a really wonderful friend.


After the show we took our backstage passes to the catered section and met and talked to Bob. Bernie went around and said hi to a few old friends. We didn't get to meet Crosby, stills, and Nash - but that was ok. The concert was so intimate and kick ass that I felt like we had hung out with them all night.

In other news, STAR WATCH ALERT!

1. Rob Lowe - totally locked eyes with me backstage. I got nervous and looked away. He looked dashing and was checking out a hot car that was parked nearby.

2. Noah Wyle - the ER doctor hunk was also there last night. Looking sweet as pie.

3. Graham Nash - Bernie saw Graham Nash at this amazing little hidden mexican place called La Superita before the show. We were sitting there, quietly devouring our food when he said, "Hey, there's Graham." Graham was checking out the taco menu. We were both star struck and excited. I noticed he had 'mom jeans' on, but decided to ignore it. This man dated my idol, Joni Mitchell. He can do whatever the eff he wants. Bernie started getting ready to say hi as Graham walked towards us and we realized Graham was a GRAhaNDMA. It was a woman. And NOT Graham Nash. And I laughed for about 10 minutes - not including the spontaneous spurts throughout the night. Bernie made me swear not to bring up the Grandma incident backstage. It took everything I had. heeehheeee.

So I am off to Ventura today to practice my music with Jared and have a Taco Party with my brother, Jesse. It is going to be delicious. And you're effing invited!

Here is your song and quote for the day:

"You Can Close Your Eyes" - James Taylor

"If I were to begin life again, I would devote it to music. It is the only cheap and unpunished rapture upon earth." - Sydney Smith

Comments

Popular Posts