Soul Food: church, ocean, reading, eating, napping, praying, loving, coffee

Morning little kitty,

How are you today? I'm doing well. Again, it's Monday. How does that constantly seem to happen? No matter what, it's always gonna happen. Well, if you're lucky. So scratch that. How lucky are we!?!?! It's monday and we're alive!!!!!!!!! Yippiddittttyyy doooo freakin dah.

I had a wonderful weekend, again. I have to say.

This is a random photo I took in Venice at night. I love it. Wanted to share it.

Something that Californians are good at: relaxing. And I don't mean sitting down in front of the boob tube for a few hours before you set off to go 'do something.' I mean seriously relaxing. That is what yesterday, my day of rest was all about. A slowly paced Sabbath day for the books! I went to the Spiritual realization fellowship with Bernie and just sat and prayed and listened to yet again - one of the best sermons I've heard. These monks know their shit! It brought me to tears over and over again. Every word really cut deep yesterday and I walked out of church feeling at complete and total peace.

We walked around the lake and watched the animals and the people for awhile. I took these two photos:


There is a bubble of peace and love around this place. It is truly wonderful and the best possible way to start any day.

We left when we started getting a little giggly and rowdy and went to Gladstone's on the water for a delicious lunch! We split a lobster roll and ahi Caesar salad and watched little girls and huge men get completely pummeled by the waves. This little guy joined us for our meal for a while. It was a divinely leisurely meal.


Afterwards, we were off to lay on the beach for 3 hours and read the Sunday paper and nap. This is absolutely as good as it sounds. Possibly one of the best things in the world. We read a great article about 60 minutes which segued into the evening when we went home to sit on a couch and watch the show. (I told you it was a relaxing day)


After that, I realized that the Ken Burns documentary "The National Parks, America's Best Idea" was on. Now I was even MORE in heaven. Pictures of Yosemite and Yellowstone accompanied by John Muir's life and perspective were truly inspiring and also completely confirming a lot of my experience with nature. I have had many spiritual experiences in quiet awe of God's creation - and have a had a lot of this lately! Just knowing that those huge trees and that gorgeous mountain range and waterfall are only 4 or so hours away is driving me nuts. I HAVE TO GO. I know I've been talking about it for awhile now, but after my gig in October, I am taking a trip to Yosemite and the sequoias and you better believe I'm gonna sit there and talk to the trees - like John Muir. I can't wait!

My spiritual life and love life an career life are flourishing out here in the California sun. I remember when I was getting my hair done back in Boston and this creepy guy in the Aveda salon who was supposed to 'wait' on me and massage my hands and stuff said this: "When you're out in California, it's literally like your surfing, man. You just ride the wave. You just go wherever life takes you." I thought he was nuts, and he literally got fired from that place for hitting on women customers - but you know what - that old loon was right! It is like that. Life is like that, if you let it be. All you have to do is paddle - and the waves will take care of the rest - and it is one awesome ride. Often when I look out at the great Pacific I am struck by the vastness, the overcoming hugeness and power of the ocean. It fills me up and gives me confidence and faith - faith in God. In this amazing power that is everywhere and everything and beautiful and loving. I want to ride on that wave and not ever get off - and I really want to get good at surfing ---- in a metaphysical way. haha.

I'm also introducing a new section of the blog today called "STAR WATCH"- it's obvious what this is about. I have a little catching up to do with this. So here are the stars I have seen so far since living in California:

1. Gabriel Byrne - drunkenly stumbling down Sunset at midnight - by himself :(
2. Suzanne Sommers - eating a flatbread pizza in Malibou
3. Amber Valletta - supermodel - praying and sitting at my church in front of me
4. Diane Baker - listening to me sing at my voice teacher's studio

Alright, loons. Here is your moment of Fran Zen for the day:

"Wouldn't it be Nice" - The Beach Boys

"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. " - John Muir

Comments

Popular Posts