I have my first official gig in LA!!!!!!!!

Morning Kitty,

How are you? I sincerely hope all is well. I am a little groggy this morning, but I am up and atom and ready to take on the freaking world, so what do you think about that!!! I have a gig and it is going to be awesome!

OCTOBER 24 AT 8PM AT ROOM 5 IN THE CITY OF ANGELS

If I get 20 people to come in and pay the $8 cover - I get paid. That's the deal.

That's right. This is an absolute first for me. I have never played a show by myself, I have never gone out and promoted my own music and talked about it and handed out CDs and played for people and gotten attention and gotten a show from it. I have never been faced with a musical project that needs to be wholly and fully driven and directed by myself. I'm shitting my pants. But in a good way. I'm so excited. I'm just happy. I have a lot of work to do, and that makes me happy too. I am also noticing within myself something that has been coming up more and more these days - just a belief that I am unique - that what I have to offer is special and heartdriven and beautiful - I'm not sure I have ever allowed myself to fully believe that before. It's really a powerful thing to believe in yourself. But it's also like re-friending yourself on facebook or something (except way more meaningful). I just feel like for the first time in a LONG time, I have my back, and I'm supporting myself and I"m my biggest cheerleader. I know this all sounds SOOOOO self-absorbed and anyone who is not an artist might not get it, but if you are an artist and you don't think you're good, not many other people will either, and no matter what others say, you are tortured! But when you decide that there is something in you that is good - people believe it. I feel like a magician or something - waving my - "I'm talented" wand or something and people are getting hypnotized and believing me. haha.

But for real. COME HEAR ME PLAY ON OCTOBER 24TH. Fly from England, Boston, Hawaii, Spain, po-dunk Texas, Montana, MARS. I will make sure you will not regret it. We will have a good time - laughing and sharing some silly, heartfelt music together. yay.

So anyway. A few notable things from yesterday.

1. I had a fucking productive day and I am happy about that! I wrote a song, I played every single song I've ever written or knew, twice, I researched cabaret shows and put wish lists together and put music together, I paid bills, etc. It was a good day.

2. I was driving in my car in Hollywood - again, note to self, HWood is a cesspool- and this guy in a flashy car stopped by me and motioned to roll down my window. I did, cuz I'm naive. "You going out tonight?" he said. Me: "Yes." Him: "Want a joint?" Me: "NO. Thanks." (slow window up) Yes, folks. This is officially my first drive by attempted drug deal. Moving on.

3. I went to Hotel Cafe with my friend Bernie to check out a fellow female singer songwriter. She is hot and smokey voiced and really a nice person and plays guitar really well. For the life of me I can't figure out why she's not signed. But life is weird like that. We chatted a little and I gave her my CD. It definitely taught me a little something tho - there are a lot of pretty and talented women out there. OK. This is true. But most of them are not weirdos like me.

4. Bernie and I finally went to Amoeba Music on Sunset. OK. I feel as if I have never been in a music store before now. I went straight to the vinyl and started freaking out. I was like, "Bernie, I think we just need to leave, let's just go, cuz I can't handle it. I want to live here." It is huge and awesome and probably houses every single record, CD, or DVD that you could ever want in your life. We found an old Jackson Browne Album that Bernie played on for $2.99. I bought it! Also got my all time favorite self-titled Suzanne Vega album, a Sinatra LP, and a Carole King album called "Music." That was scratching the surface. The next time I'm having a bad day - I'm going to pray/meditate - and then I'm going to Amoeba.

Alright, my lovelies. I am off to my voice lesson. Here is your song and quote for the day:


An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea. - Buddha

Comments

Popular Posts